Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My sleep adventure continues - patting, and patting, and patting.....

My sleep issues continue to be a work in progress.  At the last update (December 3rd blog entry), mommy and daddy were primarily using "the bag" to help get me there.  The most recent development has been mommy's discovery of the patting technique.  One huge factor is my flailing arms!  When I get sleepy,  I rub my eyes with them and then I cry because this wakes me up.   My very observing parents have found the perfect blanket that wraps me up in my bouncy and keeps me calm (somewhat).  The usual sequence of events goes something like this........

As the patting begins,  I usually start out strong!!


Soon the fussiness sets in as the patting continues.....


With more and more patting, I become a baby whose expressions are in constant flux.  One second I'm upset, then I'm cooing with a smile, then I'm staring blankly straight ahead, then I'm kicking my legs especially my left one, then I'm moving my head from side to side at times arching my back.  This is all very unpredictable but I think its my way of trying to relax myself and to let the sleep come.

Sometimes, the fussiness takes over and converts into outright sadness.  Then, I need a short break from the patting to get back on the right track.  Nothing can eliminate sadness like resting on daddy's shoulder!

When I'm almost there, I enter a zen-like state staring straight ahead with wide open eyes.  From this point, either two things can happen: I can either regress back into a world of flux/fussiness or I can progress onto sleep.  It is very important for mommy and daddy to continue gentle patting when I enter this zen-like scenario, this definitely helps push me towards sleep although nothing is a guarantee.


My sleep adventure is clearly ongoing.  Mommy and daddy want me to do more of my naps in the cosleeper and to fall asleep with less help help.  I'll keep you updated.......


1 comment:

Sleep Deprived Tio Fito said...

Niam, don´t fight back the sleep. Your parents will appreciate it. You don´t want them to become us ;)
Anyhow, your cousin likes the patting as well.